Dr. jur., attorney-at-law, Mediator
Languages: English, German, Japanese
Main field of practice is patent litigation in all technical areas. Active as litigator in Germany, organizes and co-ordinates multi-jurisdictional patent litigation in Europe. Wide experience in enforcing pharma patents. Also active in licensing, IP-related aspects of competition law and other areas of intellectual property law, as well as international arbitration, private international law and general contract law. Special expertise in counseling Japanese enterprises on German and European patent, licensing and competition law (in the Japanese language) and European enterprises on Japanese law.
- "Revision of Japanese Patent Law: Introduction of the new inspection system and the practice of German inspection System, 特許法改正－査証制度の導入とドイツの査察制度の実情", in :[Annual Report Intellectual Property Law 2019-2020, 年報知的財産法2019-2020](co-auther; Nippon Hyoron Sha 2019)
- Presentation "Patent Litigation in Germany and two separate actions" at "Intellectual Property Committee Industrial Structure Council" of Japan Patent Office (JPO) in 2019
- "Litigating Claims for Damages for Patent Infringement in Germany" (co-author; Law & Technology No. 85 (2019/10)
- "Recent Trends of IP Law in Europe" (co-editor, Chizai Kanri Vol, 68 No. 4, 2018)
- "Patent Practice in Japan and Europe: Liber Amicorum for Guntram Rahn": (co-editor; Wolters Kluwer 2011)
- "ドイツ企業とのライセンス契約" [License Agreements with German Companies] (co-author), in: 知財ライセンス契約の法律相談 [Legal Counseling on Intellectual Property License Agreements] (ed. Yamagami/Fujikawa, Tokyo 2011)
- "Patent- und Gebrauchsmusterrecht in Japan" [Patent and Utility Model Law in Japan] (co-author), in: "Handbuch Japanisches Handels- und Wirtschaftsrecht" [Handbook on Japanese Trade- and Commercial Law] (Baum/Bälz; Heymanns 2011)
- Alleviation of the Burden of Proof in Japanese Actions for Damages (2004); Art. 30 – 52 CISG, Soergel, Commentary on the German Civil Code, 13th edition (2000, co-author with Luederitz)
- Annual surveys of Japanese Supreme Court decisions on civil law.
GRUR, LES, German-Japanese Association of Jurists (DJJV), International Lawyers Association Osnabrueck.
Study of law, politics and Japanese studies at Bonn University 1989 – 1995; scholar of Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung 1990 – 1995; study of language and culture in Kyoto (1991/92) and Reims (1992/93). Research assistant at the Institute for International and Foreign Private Law of Cologne University 1995 – 1998. Legal traineeship in Wuppertal, Düsseldorf, Cologne and Tokyo 1996 – 1998; second juridical state examination 1998. Research student at Kobe University 1998/99 as scholar of the Japan Foundation. German attorney-at-law since 2000. Doctorate in Law, University of Osnabrück in 2003. With HOFFMANN EITLE since 2004. Lecturer in the "Master of Advanced Studies in Intellectual Property" program at the ETH Zurich in the academic years 2009 and 2010. Co-head of HOFFMANN EITLE's Litigation & Licensing Group since 2010. Since 2020 Business Mediator (Munich qualification – Eidenmüller/Hacke/Fries).
- legal 500
- JUVE German Commercial Law Firms
“Internationally focus has been on Japan and among others hits goals with the Japanese speaking Dirk Schüssler-Langeheine. For example they continue to represent Seiko Epson in countless proceedings in the protection of patents for print cartridges. In addition they are mandated by Nippon Carbide Industries in many patent infringement proceedings and represented Panasonic successfully in a dispute with Philips regarding LED patents.”
Schüssler-Langeheine is a recommended lawyer in the patent section.
- IP Patent Star Germany, Managing Intellectual Property (2019 & 2020)